When the Lutheran forefathers of Walla Walla moved to the area in 1869, they established their church and a day school. However, in 1885 this school was handed over to the NSW Department of Public Instruction. The desire of the local community in the 1930s for Christian secondary education led Pastor JTP Stolz to begin the planning what would lead ultimately to the establishment of St Paul’s College.
On Tuesday 10 February 1948, twenty eight foundation students answered the roll called by Mr Werner Hebart, the founding Headmaster. Thirteen of these students were boarders and they resided with local families. In the first few years children from the Bonegilla migrant camp became boarding students of St Paul’s.
The College moved onto its current premises from its temporary location in Zion Lutheran Church in 1950. Since that time there has been extensive development and refurbishment of buildings and facilities, as well as the establishment and modification of curricula and programs. Although the College’s fortunes have waxed and waned, and educational emphases have changed, the vision of our founders for a Christian secondary education has remained constant. Milestones in our history include:
1948 Founding of St Paul's College
1950 Movement onto the present campus
1955 Enrolments pass 100
1963 Emergence of a heightened focus on Agriculture
1966 Enrolment of the first second generation student
1978 Introduction of the Equine program
1979 Commencement of an extensive building program
1985 Establishment of Vertical Care Groups
2000 Enrolment of the first third generation student
2005 Commencement of an extensive program of refurbishments
2008 60 year anniversary celebrations.
Roll of Headmasters / Principals
1948-1956 Mr Werner Hebart
1957-1971 Mr G R (Tom) Schultz
1972-1985 Mr Peter Nitschke
1986-1997 Mr Theo Helbig
1998-2005 Mr John Brew-Bevan
2006-2010 Dr Barry Krueger
2011- Pastor Mark Doecke